Since 1773 people have been holding smashing parties at Old South Meeting House.
Transform your next event from ordinary to extraordinary at Old South Meeting House, the perfect blend of history, location and charm. Available for a cocktail party, concert, corporate meeting, formal or informal dinner, or award ceremony, this treasured National Historic Site where the Boston Tea Party began offers you an opportunity to create an event that is truly revolutionary!
Old South Meeting House is open to the public 7 days a week as a museum. Rentals are available in the evening after 4:00 pm November 1-May 31and after 5:00 pm April 1-October 31 for events of all kinds. To recieve an event estimate, please send us a completed event application to email@example.com.
Old South Meeting House is wheelchair accessible with elevator access to the main floor, the museum shop/restroom level, and our lower level classroom. The balcony is not wheelchair accessible. Assistive-listening devices are available for programs using our sound system.
The official capacity of Old South Meeting House is 650. However, your event capacity is determined by the type of event, your setup needs and our policy guidelines.
- Theatre Style Seating: 220 guests seated theatre style on the first floor of the main hall only. An additional 330 seats are available in the balcony. (The balcony will only be opened for events with over 250 attendees or if arrangements have been made for such at the time of booking.)
- Reception, standing: A typical standing reception comfortably accommodates 50 to 250 guests on the first floor of the main hall. Food and drink are not allowed in the balcony level.
- Seated Dinner: A seated dinner comfortably accommodates 50 up to 100 persons at round tables set in our first floor box pews. Additional tables may be added in the case of a plated dinner with servers but will limit open space for dancing, musicians, etc. Food and drink are not allowed in the balcony level.
Fees and Services
Rental fees vary by event but typically range between $3500 and $6500 dollars per event. Fees are significantly reduced for non-profit groups. Pricing is based on a number of factors including staffing needs, number of attendees, production needs and tax-exempt status. Rental fees and services are tailored to your event but typically include use of the venue, event staffing, and in-house A/V equipment. Use of additional equipment will be assessed at the time of your rental inquiry and included in the pricing estimate. To recieve an event estimate, please send us a completed event application to firstname.lastname@example.org. If you are unable to fill out and return the application, you may include the details of the application in the body of an email.
The following equipment is available for your special event; additional fees for usage and professional technicians will apply.
- Sound System Our sound system, designed specifically for our building, is capable of accommodating multiple performers or speakers as well as broadcasting CDs or iPods. All events that use the balcony must use the sound system. We recommend the system for audiences over 50 persons. We require that our sound technician be on site when our sound system is used.
- Theatre Lighting A complete theatre lighting system is available.
- Stage A full modular staging system is available, in 8’x4’ or 4’4 pieces. Most staging configurations require at least 3 - 4 pieces.
- Screen & projectors A 10’ quiet controlled screen, mounted from ceiling truss, LCD projector and slide projector are available.
- Piano A Mason Hamlin Grand Piano is available for use. A tuning fee applies.
Caterers & Other Vendors
To see a list of our preferred caterers and other recommended event vendors, please visit our Wedding page here and scroll to the bottom.
To Reserve Your Place In History
To discuss your event and check availability, please contact us at email@example.com or call our Events Director at 617-482-6439.
If you are interested in holding a wedding ceremony at Old South Meeting House, visit our Weddings page here.
If you are looking would like to hold a forum, concert or other event open to the public sponsored by a non-profit organization, visit our Partners in Public Dialogue page here.