In the heart of downtown Boston and against a dramatic backdrop of skyscrapers, Old South Meeting House has stood the test of time to become a unique venue for your big day.
Our treasured 1729 National Historic Landmark offers you an opportunity to create a wedding ceremony that is truly your own. Today, much of the interior of the meeting house looks as it did in the 18th century, arranged in the traditional New England meeting house style. The simplicity of line and symmetrical proportions achieve a quiet beauty. The space has a peaceful beauty on its own, but can be personalized with your addition of floral arrangements, lanterns, decorations, chuppah, and more.
We would be delighted to answer your wedding rental questions. Please review the information and guidelines provided on this page first, as we have answers to most FAQs and other helpful hints! If you would like an estimate or to tour the space, please email us a completed wedding ceremony rental application. You can reach us with your rental application at email@example.com, or feel free to call us at 617-482-6439 with questions.
Old South Meeting House is open 7 days a week as a museum. Wedding ceremonies can begin after we have closed to the public. Wedding ceremonies typical begin at 6:00 pm from April 1 to October 31, and 5:00 pm from November 1 to March 31. Our wedding ceremony rental is for 3 hours, including time for setup and break down on the day of your wedding, and a 1 hour rehearsal typically held the evening before. Your wedding may exceed 3 hours for an additional charge.
Old South Meeting House is best suited for wedding ceremonies. However, we do also hold small wedding receptions here (100 people or under) and are happy to discuss your needs.
We are honored to have been part of hundreds of weddings throughout the years. Our Pinterest Gallery has the most updated photos by talented photographers of many of these special days. Follow this link for inspiration on how our space can make your wedding one for the history books.
For a virtual tour of our Main Hall, please visit our Wedding Wire storefront. You will also find 360-degree views of our Conference Room and Education Room, both of which are available for your wedding party to lounge in before your ceremony.
Old South Meeting House seats up to 250 people on the first floor, and an additional 300 in the balcony. Our bench pews comfortably seat up to 100 guests for more intimate ceremonies.
Old South Meeting House is wheelchair accessible with elevator access to all levels except the balcony. Assistive listening devices are available with use of the sound system.
Fees and Services
All rental fees and services are tailored to your individual needs and typically include use of the building, in-house A/V equipment and museum staffing. Fees for a typical wedding ceremony range starts between $2,800 to $3,100. A one-hour rehearsal is recommended (typically held the evening before the wedding) and is built into your into your wedding contract. Each wedding ceremony is staffed by an event manager and additional museum assistant(s). Your event manager will assist with your rehearsal and ceremony to help coordinate your procession, music and other needs.
We are happy to provide use of our sound system (strongly recommended for audiences of 50 persons or more) and theater lighting. An oak podium and plain music stands (for readings, etc) are also available. Our beautiful 1929 Mason Hamlin Grand Piano is available for a small fee.
Our museum shop selection of unique gift items, tea-themed goods, and New England made items. Special discounts are available for your bulk orders.
We are fortunate to work closely with Wedding Wire
The vendors listed below provide high quality services for wedding ceremonies at Old South Meeting House. All of our recommended vendors are familiar with our unique historic setting and its restrictions.
Old South Meeting House is not affiliated with any religion and welcomes all kinds of ceremonies. Couples choose their own officiant for all wedding ceremonies at Old South Meeting House. Below are some recommended officiants:
- Brother Lawrence A. Whitney, LC, Boston College University Chaplain and Officiant: 857-413-7122, firstname.lastname@example.org or visit here
- Rabbi David B. Kudan, Officiant for Jewish and Interfaith Ceremonies: 617-877-3818, email@example.com or visit here
- Donna Cunio, Nondenominational Minister and Massachusetts Justice of the Peace: 781-659-7667, firstname.lastname@example.org or visit here
- Father Jim Griffin, M.Div., Independent Catholic Priest and Registered Wedding Officiant in the Commonwealth of Massachusetts: 508-808-1586, email@example.com or visit here
- William Luzier, Attorney and Massachusetts Justice of the Peace: 617-782-6077, firstname.lastname@example.org or visit here
- Cindy Matchett, Celebrant: 978-263-5937, email@example.com or visit here
We are fortunate to have had many talented photographers capture weddings in our space over the years. Below are some photographers who have taken outstanding wedding portfolios in our space.
- Ars Magna Studio: 617-942-1449, www.arsmagnastudio.com
- Caroline Talbot Photography: http://carolinetalbotphoto.com
- Metzger Studios: 781-652-0342, www.metzgerstudios.com
- Lindsay Hite Photography: 508-208-1689, www.lindsayhitephotography.com
- Elizabeth LaDuca Photography: 978-760-3503, www.elizabethladuca.com
- Shane Godfrey Photography: www.shanegodfreyphotography.com
- Alex Paul Photography: www.alexpaulphotography.com
- Carly Michelle Photography: www.carlymichellephotography.com
- Aiden Rhaa Photography: www.aidenrhaa.com
- Gina Brocker Photography: www.ginabrocker.com
View our Pinterest page for the most updated photos from weddings at the Meeting House.
With the Meeting House's incredible accoustics, it's easy to create the perfect ambiance with our antique 1929 Mason Hamlin Grand Piano. Use of our beloved instrument is available for a small tuning fee.
- New England Conservatory Music Referral Service: 617-585-1170, http://necmusic.edu/mrs
- Presto! Music: 781-245-8029, www.presto-music.com
- Riverview Chamber Players: 781-398-2240, www.riverviewchamberplayers.com
- International Strings: 617-966-7947, www.istringtrio.com
- Marc Hall Design, 617-482-6272, http://theworldofmarchall.com
- Field & Vase, 978-568-1189, http://fieldandvase.com
- Nature's Design Studio, 781-640-9320, www.naturesdesignstudio.com
- Winston Flowers: 800-457-4901, www.winstonflowers.com
- Petals, Inc.: 978-532-0066, www.petalsinc.com
- C2MDesigns, LLC: 401-475-6260, www.C2MDesigns.com
- Poppy Floral: 617-955-7144, https://poppyfloral.com
The caterers listed below are considered "preferred caterers" and provide high quality services for events large and small at Old South Meeting House. All of our preferred caterers are familiar with our unique historic setting and our food preparation and setup restrictions. These exceptional quality vendors can accommodate a range of tastes and budgets, are full service, and can arrange for rentals of all equipment such as tables, linens, chairs, flatware, and glassware. You may use a non-preferred caterer for an additional fee. We do not allow groups to self-cater or drop off foods for events. If alcohol is to be served at your event, we require that the server(s) are licensed and insured; liquor service must be discontinued one-half hour prior to the end of your event.
- Above and Beyond Catering, 617-426-5999, firstname.lastname@example.org, www.aboveabc.com
- Boston Cafe and Catering, 781-938-9300, email@example.com, www.bostoncater.com
- The Catered Affair, 781-982-9333, firstname.lastname@example.org, www.thecateredaffair.com
- Gourmet Caterers, 617-522-2820, email@example.com, www.gourmetcatering.com
- Lavishly Dunn,617-921-8993, firstname.lastname@example.org, http://www.elizabethladuca.com
We are delighted to have a long, wonderful relationship with Omni Parker House Hotel, a historic hotel just a few short blocks from us on the Freedom Trail. They are great supporters of our annual Celebrate Boston! event, as well as fantastic neighbors working to share downtown's history with Boston's visitors. We highly recommend Omni Parker House for your stay or reception.
In addtion, we have recently strenghtened ties with the newly renovated Kimpton Nine Zero Hotel. Their dark aesthetic, sweeping views of Tremont Street and the Granary Burying Ground, and eclecic mix of 1920s and mid-century touches make them a hip choice for your reception or stay.
To receive an estimate, tour our event space, or reserve your wedding date
To receive an estimate of fees, please fill out the mandatory Wedding Ceremony Rental Application and return to email@example.com. An estimate of fees will be provided following the receipt of the completed application.
If your chosen date is available, we will place the date on a tentative hold for a maximum of two weeks. If you decide to move forward with the rental, we will prepare a contract for your review and signature. A deposit and signed contract are required to secure your reservation.
Thank you for considering Old South Meeting House for your wedding! Your fees help to support and preserve this non-profit 1729 historic site. Fees from weddings and special events ensure that we can maintain the space for years and generations to come.